Tuesday, 16 June 2009

Tuesday 16th June

Today has been a day of highs and lows really. It was another one of those mornings when I found it very hard to wake up, and by the time we got up, ready and out, it was almost 11am. Well, we are on holiday!
We headed out to Newgale Sands again, but this time turned off the main road and went down the narrow lane that follows the coast. This is another of those single track roads that is used as a bus route - we know this as we met it coming the other way. This road takes you through Nolton Haven and Druidston to Broad Haven, which has probably the best beach of the holiday so far. We spent a couple of hours there, and had a paddle in the sea which was actually quite warm. It wasn't quite as hot as it was yesterday, but not far off, the breeze being the thing that made it seem cooler.
As we went through Nolton Haven we came across a line of horses and riders from the stables there - well over a dozen of them plus a few trainers, and they all looked totally miserable! We then met two more horses on the beach, one of which whinnied and then poohed in the sea - Sally was most unimpressed and wondered what we would come across next. According to the map of the area we have, dogs are not allowed on this particular beach (it doesn't mention horses), but we saw plenty of these running around too.
We were going to have lunch at Broad Haven, but discovered that the fish and chip shop is closed on Tuesdays, and although the gift shop has a cafe in it too, we didn't fancy it. The lanes got narrower and even more winding on the other side of Broad Haven, and we ended up giving Little Haven a miss as the road was simply too mad to attempt in a car.
The plan then became to go to Milford Haven, which we both thought would offer the best chance of seaside fair. What a mistake. The roads were still narrow enough and with few signposts, but eventually we came past the huge Murco oil refinery on the outskirts of the town. This turned out to be the highlight of the place as the town centre was a total dump! We drove through it three times on the lookout for somewhere that didn't look inhospitable, but gave up and drove onto Morrisons at Haverfordwest where we bought some treats.
Back at camp we had a late lunch using our purchases from the supermarket, which I'm sure were better than anything we could have found in Milford Haven. I then had another doze, apparantly snoring louder than the noise the tractor and mower made as they cut the grass in the half of the field that is not in use at the moment!
It is going cooler already this evening, and they are forecasting the possibility of rain overnight and early tomorrow. I think we will be glad of the hot soup we are planning to have for dinner in a while.
No major walks today I'm sorry to say. I think we are both recovering from the last couple of days. There has been a comment that I may not need a full seat to myself for next season at this rate. Don't worry, I can re-assure you that I am far from wasting away! I did think that I had lost a bit of weight, but this morning I put on a pair of trousers that I haven't worn since last summer, and I had to let the belt out a bit.....still some way to go before we can share the seat Andy!!! (See the photo of me paddling in the sea for proof of this......)

Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

1 comment:

  1. Like the Hat!
    Sounds like you are both having a good time. Hope the weather stays good for you. Big thunderstorm here on Monday and lot's of rain!!!!