Saturday, 12 June 2010

Friday 11th June

A cloudy start to our last full day in Freshwater East with the odd sunny spell between the clouds. Can't believe that we have been here for almost a week. The time has flown past, but it also feels like we have been here for ages if that makes sense.

Once again it proves just how quickly one can adapt, and that so much of the stuff one has at home is totally superfluous to your needs. We have already redesigned the layout of this place in our minds to make it perfectly suitable for our requirements. The more space you have, the more junk you fill it with.

The plan today is to go to Manorbier Castle which is a few miles up the coast towards Tenby. From the brochure it is only a small castle but steeped in history. We shall see.

On the beach at Manorbier. The weather is still cloudy, but the breeze is warm, and it is quite pleasant. The beech is a mixture of sand and stones, there is the smell of damp seaweed and the rocks at the edge of the bay are scared by the elements and covered with lichen. It is a very peaceful place - all you can hear is the sound of the waves and the birds singing. This is a very out of the way bay and not at all busy, nicely hidden away from the hustle and bustle of the real world.

There was a young golden labrador on the beach, playing happily and retrieving the hoop his owner was throwing for him. On their way back to the car park, the dog decided to duck his head into the stream and pick out large stones. This would have been great if his owner had wanted to build a rockery, but as she seemed unkeen, we can only imagine that she already has one back home.

Two horses have appeared on the beach now, and their riders are heading down towards the sea. It is not a very big beach so I can't imagine that the horses are going to get much of a run.

We went to the castle and had a look around. It dates back to the 13th century, and is in fairly good condition. It was certainly interesting enough, and was a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours, finishing up with tea and cake. We were helped by a robin that was tame enough to sit on the edge of our table in the hopes of getting some crumbs. He/she was a cheeky thing and you had to eat with one hand protecting your food just in case.

We then moved on to Saundersfoot, and just like on our first visit there, the sun came back out and the weather was glorious. We had a long walk on the beach and paddled in the sea, which was surprisingly warm.

Had the best fish & chips of the holiday at the Marina fish bar. They were really good, and even better than the ones in Tenby. Full marks!!

Sat on the harbour front watching the world go by and the tide come in. This is the life - can't remember when I last felt quite so chilled out. The time seems to be going so slowly today, and considering such a late start to the day we seem to have packed in such a lot and it is still only 5pm.

Headed back to the flat, opened the patio doors and enjoyed the view and gentle breeze with a lovely mug of tea.

Watched Uruguay v France in the World Cup. What a snooze fest that turned out to be! Discovered that I have managed to get sunburnt. Head and forearms being the worst. Put some cream on, and its not too bad. When will I learn?

Started packing up to save a bit of time in the morning. Really can't believe that this will be our last night here. I'm going to miss this place that is for sure - especially that view! This time tomorrow we will be at our second venue, so we will see what the view from there is like.....

Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

No comments:

Post a Comment