Friday 22 November 2013

Happy Birthday to me....

I didn't get around to writing this yesterday, so I thought I would make a start while the kettle is boiling for our porridge and drink this morning!

Yep, yesterday was my birthday. 21 again. Well, 46 to be more precise, but they are only numbers so I keep being told.

We went back to Norwich yesterday to have a better look around the shops and to have a birthday meal out and about. I have to say, I had heard that Norwich was good for shopping and it really is. Besides all the little independent store are all the usual high street stores and mostly they have BIG stores!

The John Lewis was very very good and the staff were excellent as one would expect. The Marks & Spencer was also rather impressive, although as we are used to the Coventry one, its not that hard to impress us!!

There were also large branches of BHS, Debenhams and Next, but we didn't go into any of these.

There is a large outdoor market with permanent wooden hut type stalls. This seemed to be very busy but we didn't have a look ourselves.

Sally bought me a new pair of slippers from John Lewis, a pair of Ugg ones which were expensive but look as though they will last for years.

Lunch was at Bella Italia, sally had tagliatelli, while I had chicken wrapped in Parma ham. We also had a naughty dessert of an ice cream and popcorn sundae.

I needed the gents after the main course, and followed the signs to what I thought was the toilets. I didn't think about it straight away, but it did vaguely occur to me that there were only cubicles and no urinals. On the way out I noticed a picture of an old lady on the door. By the time I got back to the table I was beginning to think that maybe I had gone into the wrong toilets. I mentioned this to Sally, and when she came back from her visit to them she confirmed that I had indeed been to the ladies and the gents were down the stairs in the basement! Needless to say, she is planning on mocking me about this for the foreseeable future.

After lunch we went into Jarrolds department store, which is a good old fashioned store. We had seen some Sabatier kitchen knives there on Sunday when we had visited, and we wanted another look at them. Sally bought a couple of bits for the kitchen, but decided against the knife set as it wasn't quite what she wanted.

It was dark by now, so we headed back to Cromer. It was also raining a bit, so we were glad to be in the dry. The day had started out sunny and dry, but had drifted downhill as the day had worn on. (A bit like me really!)

The journey back was less eventful than the journey to Norwich - the satnav had failed to take us to the john lewis carpark, but just to the front of the store, a few button pushes later it decided to get us to the carpark, but by ignoring most of the rules of the highway code. "Do a u turn now, drive across the pavement knocking over anyone who gets in your way. Then take the first turn on the right, go the wrong way up the one way street and then try to outrun the police car" (well, it wasn't quite THAT bad, but not far off!!)

Back at the "villa" we settled down to a few games of rummy, Sally watched Masterchef, and we had a few crackers with cheese quite late as we were still pretty full from lunch.

Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a great time, Mike! It sounds like you had a fab birthday and Norwich sounds like a good place to visit - will have to put it on my list of things to do!

    Very jealous of your Ugg boots - lucky thing!

    ReplyDelete